An Esquire/Yahoo! poll has Obama taking Romney in a fist fight by 58% to 22%, with another 20% having no opinion. The poll also asked who would win the election, and the numbers were similar: 57% for Obama, 30% for Romney, and 13% couldn’t be bothered to guess. It did not ask people if they were racist and simply thought that the black guy was always tougher than the Mormon. It also seems to have been the first time the question was formally polled, so there’s no way to tell if there’s a correlation between the winner of the fist fight and the winner of the election. However, if you think about the last 30 years:
- Obama would’ve beat McCain bloody
- W would’ve easily taken Kerry
- W vs Gore is a hard one, because Gore is a softie, but he’s also a big guy who might have a temper
- Clinton would’ve easily beat up old, one-armed Bob Dole
- Clinton would’ve had trouble with the original Bush though, who had a sort of spit-and-nails quality about him.
- The original Bush would’ve been all over Dukakis
- Reagan would’ve probably lost to Mondale though, but of the two, Mondale would’ve probably been the one driven to tears — by Reagan’s wit
- Reagan vs Carter is hard to call, because it’s hard to imagine either of them actually getting into a fight, but Carter had a big age advantage
- Same with Carter vs Ford: they would most likely just work it out without ever resorting to fists. But if they absolutely had to fight, Carter probably had a little more ganas.
- And of course, Nixon would take pretty much anyone except Andrew Jackson and Teddy Roosevelt.
For more in the same vein, there’s a Reddit thread about a mass knife fight to the death between every president. And if you want to try your hand at presidential combat, there’s an iOS app for that, called Vote!!!.